Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Very Merry UnBirthday


The first graders have been completing an ABC countdown for the last 26 days of school. Today was letter, U, Unbirthday Day. It was originally intended for those students that have summer birthdays and do not get the opportunity to celebrate their birthday in school with their friends and teachers. However, as I was preparing for the day this morning all I could think about was the scene from Alice in Wonderland, with the MadHatter singing A Very Merry Unbirthday To You! 



That's when I realized this was an opportunity to celebrate all students in my classroom. Birthdays are about celebrating what makes each individual unique. Celebrating all the good they bring to the classroom. To help make our day about celebrating my students, we started the day by reading one of my favorite birthday books, Happy Birthday To You, by Dr. Seuss. 


We then shared our favorite memories from the year, sung happy birthday to each and every student and spotted our birthday Elf on the Shelf! 


Today made me realized how important it is to not only celebrate our students on their special day, but each and every day. My first graders light up my day and teach me something new! Without them my days would have a lot less laughs and smiles, have a lot less sticky encounters and be a lot more boring. 

To help make celebrating birthdays in your classroom a little brighter, we have provided self-created birthday tags to give students on their birthdays. Tape these to the top of a silly straw or pencil or print on stickers! This will surely bright up their special day.

Find the birthday toppers HERE and birthday certificates are soon to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment