Monday, May 25, 2015

Appsmashing to Compare Numbers


When asked to recall details from our own elementary school experience, the details seem to be far and few between. However, one of the few things remembered is the alligator to compare numbers.

As I approached the topic of comparing numbers, I wanted a way to engage my students in their learning. Sure, I could simply just teach how the alligator eats the bigger number, but I wanted a way for my students to grasp WHY the alligator eats the bigger number while using mathematical vocabulary.

As a first grade team, we had decided that students would create a project where they would choose two numbers and place their self-created alligator between it. I wondered how they would explain their knowledge though. While walking down the hallway to pick up the printed alligator templates, it hit me. I would use technology to make the alligator come to life, through appsmashing! Appsmashing is when students use two or more apps to create an engaging project. This allows students to share their knowledge and understanding. I will post more on appsmashing soon!

The students began by using the app, Chatterpix Kid, to give the paper alligator voice. Here they recorded if their alligator was the greater than or less than sign. I then wanted my students to place their video into, Explain Everything, which is an interactive whiteboard. They would choose two numbers and explain why the greater than sign was facing towards a specific number using their knowledge on place value. Our previous unit focused on place value to the tens and ones place. By combining content from two math topics, I figured this would be the perfect activity to assess student's knowledge and learning.


Below is an example of a student's comparing numbers video.

To have the alligator speak first, the students clicked record and then played the video. After the video was down recording the student's explained their knowledge on place value and comparing numbers. 

Want to try this in your classroom, click HERE!







No comments:

Post a Comment