Sunday, May 17, 2015

iPad Rules and Expectations


Teaching with 1:1 technology may seem like an overwhelming experience, especially when teaching primary aged students. How do students stay on task? How do students know what app to use? How do students keep their device clean and safe? How do you manage 22 students on a device at once? The answer I always give to visitors in my classroom and other educators is like any well managed classroom. Define and set clear expectations for student. 

Spend the first couple weeks of the school year establishing guidelines and rules with the technology. This is the key to integrating technology into the classroom. In my classroom, I had a conversation with my students on what does it mean to be responsible. We then talked about how we need to be ready, responsible and respectful with our technology. That meant keeping food and drinks away from our device, charging it nightly so that we are ready to learn the next day, keeping our hands clean before using it and ALWAYS carrying it with two hands.  While the rules were posted in our room and everyone had signed them, I wanted a way that these rules were always visible to students. I decided to set the rules as their lock screens. Students are always agreeing to the rules that were set when they unlock their iPads. This will help create consistent expectations with technology in your classroom. 

Check back later this week, to continue to learn how I integrate iPads into my first grade classroom. I would love to hear your experiences with technology also! 
                              
 Access a copy of the iPad rules here!



No comments:

Post a Comment